The mission of this cluster is to provide leadership in areas related to the forecasting, optimization, trading and economics of energy.
- Big Data Energy Analytics Laboratory (BigDEAL)
- Distributed energy markets, analytics and operational research
- Quality Assurance, Nuclear Safety, Regulatory, Policy and Standards
- Cyber and Physical Security of power systems
- Improved supply chain utilization
Lead: Dr. Badrul Chowdhury, firstname.lastname@example.org
This cluster solves environmental energy generation and transmission problems related to the protection and cleanup of groundwater, measurement and improvement of physical and chemical properties of soils and waste, and wastewater treatment.
- Beneficial utilization and recycliung of waste streams
- Spent fuels, coal ash, air quality, fracking fluids and water management
- Materials Characterization Laboratory (MCL)
Lead: Dr. Milind Khire, email@example.com
This cluster will advance the state-of-the-art in both the theory and practice of precision manufacturing at large scale by implementing:
- Siemens Large-scale Manufacturing Solutions Laboratory
- Large Component Metrology
- Robotics and Welding Technologies
Lead: Dr. John Ziegert, firstname.lastname@example.org
Utilizing the resources of EPIC's High-Bay Structures Laboratory, this cluster performs large-structures reserach on transmission and distribution designs, and materials characterization and development.
- High-bay large-structures laboratory and T&D designs
- Power infrastructure design and testing
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
- Utilization and recycling of spent fuels and emission controls
- Coal and Sustainable Science Policy
Lead: Dr. David Young, email@example.com
Containing the Duke Energy Smart Grid Labortatory, this cluster performs reserach to improve distribution automation, micro-grids and energy storage intergration.
- Duke Energy Smart Grid Laboratory – NSF MRI
- Electric Vehicle and Energy Storage Integration
- Distribution Automation and Microgrids
Lead: Bartosz Wojszczyk, firstname.lastname@example.org
Research in this cluster includes off-shore wind, biomass and small-scale hydro technologies, integration of renewables, and photovoltaic cell and LED research.
- Photovoltaic Technology Research Laboratory
- Clean-rooms with PV cell, module, inverter and LED process manufacturing
- Off-shore wind, biomass and small-scale hydro technologies
- Integration of renewables and energy efficiency measures
Lead: Dr. Ed Stokes, email@example.com
Research in this cluster engages the passenger and freight transportation industry to provide solutions in the context of workforce development, research and testing, and infrastructure improvement.
- Innovative Rail Technology Park
- Hands-on education on power sources for rail transportation
- Engage high school students and the public in promoting sustainable, carbon-neutral and carbon-free transportation energy applications
Lead: Dr. Shen-En Chen, firstname.lastname@example.org