The Coal Ash and Liquid Management (CALM) Office utilizes, complements and leverages the expertise at UNC Charlotte by utilizing a wide variety of coal ash and coal combustion energy, and waste-water treatment experts.
- Recognized experts in CCR leach-ability, highway beneficial use, CCR waste-water treat-ability, coal combustion energy, and specialty coal ash products
- A balanced, respected and scientific voice that is consulted by both industry and environmental advocates.
What is the EPIC Coal Ash and Liquid Management Office?
- A practical applied research and technical solutions center for coal ash and energy liquids management.
- Will be an NSF Industry and University Cooperative Research Center I/UCRC that can leverage the funds from a wide variety of sources.
- A safe place to think and apply innovative thoughts.
- A place to discuss problems or sensitive topics about coal ash and energy liquids in a manner that is both confidential and protective of intellectual property.
- A place where competitors in the coal ash industry can come together to discuss and solve common problems about excavation safety, regulatory permits, and mis-information about the perceived risks of coal ash and energy liquids.
Chris Hardin, P.E., Managing Director and Industry Liaison for CALM Office.
Over 25 years field experience in energy and waste. Designed the first lined coal ash landfills in NC and SC. Specialty experience with beneficial use, the Final CCR Rule, and construction over soft/wet ash.
Milind Khire, P.E., Technology Director of CALM Office.
Several patents, and over 25 years experience innovative covers, leachate and liquids management, and field-scale monitoring of waste containment systems.