Deadline of Friday, March 15 Set for EPIC Research Assistantship Applications
The Energy Production and Infrastructure Center (EPIC) opened its call for applications from eligible graduate (MSc or PhD) students at UNC Charlotte for the 2013-14 awards of the EPIC Research Assistantships. Applications are due by Friday, March 15, 2013.
Each successful applicant will receive a $15,000 EPIC Power/Energy Research assistantship beginning 8/15/13 and ending 5/15/14. In addition a $5,000stipend for the faculty member who agrees to serve as the student’s mentor during the project. Please note, the research assistantship is 20 hours a week and requires participation in an EPIC Cluster and attendance in a majority of EPIC Seminars and events. Multiple assistantships are available.
To be eligible, a new or currently enrolled graduate student must have an undergraduate GPA of 3.25 or a post-graduate GPA of at least 3.5. Preferred applicants must have an EPIC Associate as project mentor, and they must offer evidence of demonstrated leadership in the classroom, on campus, and/or in the community.
In addition, applicants must provide the following information:
1. A one-page essay describing why she or he should receive the assistantship, meeting formatting requirements of single-spaced, 12-point ARIAL font.
2. A project plan for the proposed research.
3. A current resume.
4. A mentor endorsement package.
The mentor endorsement package must include the following information:
1. A two-page project scope statement, including a budget and materials list.
2. A statement of other funding available for the project, and if available, how the assistantship would effectively leverage these funds.
3. A letter of recommendation for the student.
4. A one-page current resume.
Applicants must deliver the full package of materials in both hard copy and electronic versions by 5:00 PM on Friday, March 15 to Robin Moose, EPIC Business Officer, EPIC 1227.
NOTE: Electronic-only or hand-written applications will not be accepted.