- Germany in Charlotte
German Influence in Charlotte
Did you know...?
- Though Queen Charlotte belonged to the British royal family, she was actually born in Germany!
- She hailed from the Holy Roman Empire in a German region called Mecklenburg, hence our county name.
- Today there are over 200 German companies in Charlotte and the surrounding area. Big names like Siemens and Bosch reside here, as well as various smaller companies.
- As a symbol of economic and cultural ties between Germany and Charlotte, a 7-foot tall Berliner Bear statue was placed uptown by the city library. One can also see them proudly displayed all over the German capital.
- There are many German-related entertainment connections in Charlotte. Starting in Winter 2016, there will even be a Christkindlmarkt (famous German Christmas market) in the Romare Bearden park.
- Bank of America Stadium hosted the Bayern München football club (soccer team for all of you Americans) this past year. It was a huge sell out and we hope to see the team back here very soon.
- Other restaurans/bars, like the Olde Mecklenburg Brewery and Waldhorn boast German delicacies year round.
- Visit the German Language and Culture Foundation website to learn more about the mission to fund students all over the region to go on exchange programs and turn Charlotte Deutsch!